Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JFET as volume control

Status
Not open for further replies.

milovan

Newbie level 1
Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fet volume control

I want to use JFET transistor like volume control for audio aplications.
Can you sugest me some good shematic to do this.
thansk for help

jfet volume control

I think you should use transistors with greatest possible Vth in order to achieve better linearity when signal level is high.
Schematic ??
A simple voltage divider - one resistor and one transistor.Even DC bias is unnecessary.
What worries me is the relationship between gate voltage and attenuation.
I don't know if it will be the desirable one.

fet feedback gate attenuator

FET's like BF245 can be used as audio attenuator for signals up to 1Vpp. Distortion can be about 20%. FET is not linear resistor at Vds=0. Linearity for Vds<0 decreases as Vgs approaches 0V.

bf245 attenuator

The linearity of the JFET can be greatly increased by using a form of feedback. One resistor from the drain to the gate and another from the gate to the external world. Apply the control voltage to the far end of this second resistor. Use the drain and source terminals like a resistor.

Siliconix makes special JFETs designed for variable resistor service. **broken link removed**
They also have application notes for using them. https://www.vishay.com/docs/70598/70598.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back