Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is the postive voltage to PN junction that allow the current to pass through it?

TicTek

Junior Member level 1
Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi folks,

I was led to confusion by an experienced electronic engineer who told me that for a diode (PN Junction), it is not only that if apply a voltage across its terminal that will make it conduct but also if we force a current into it, it will generate a differential voltage on its terminal!!

So, here I am confused of cause/effect. Is the voltage that causes the current, or also a forced current causes a voltage?
All books I read they specify applied voltage leads to a diode conducting current!!

'Forcing' current doesn't sound right, it will conduct a current when sufficient voltage is applied across the terminals. I think the confusion may be that when a PN junction is conducting (passing a current), there will be a voltage dropped across it, much as there would be if a current passed through a resistor. Different junction materials and particular device types may result in different voltages but unlike a resistor, the voltage stays relatively constant as the current changes.

Brian.

Hi,

there are (constant) voltage sources ... and (constant) current sources.
Both feed the "value" to a load.

For a (constant) voltage source ... no load is needed. The voltage exists and can be measured and regulated.

This is different with a current source. It needs a load for a current to flow.
Indeed a constant current source usually regulates the voltage in a way that the expected current will flow.

Now what your electronics engineer means (most probably):
You can apply a constant current to a PN ... and then you can measure a voltage across the PN.
But for sure - as said above - it needs a voltage for a current to flow.

For sure one can bring up extreme examples where this seems not to be true.
Like a ring of supra conductor ... when an external magnetic field is applied.
There surely will be current flow within the supra conductor ... but is there also a voltage, too?

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back