Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is M29F040B compatible with 39SF040?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanor

Member level 4
Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
39sf040

Trying to fix a laptop. Original BIOS chip is SST 39SF040 but I only got a ST M29F040B.
Is these chips compatible with each other? Or what make them different.

I have programmed the 29f040 chip with a eeprom/flash chip programmer but the laptop won't post. It does turn on and charge with the BIOS chip installed.

But is ST M29F040B 100% compatible with 39SF040?

chip bios 39sf040

There's no difference between the two types if you're just reading from the flash (assumed same or faster access time). But the problem is the write algorithm which the BIOS uses at startup to store some device infos. Take a look at the datasheet of the ST and SST flashs (different manufacturers!). They differ in sector size, manufacturer code, device code, algorithm etc...
If your BIOS can't handle this new type there seems to be no chance to get it running :-(

Mik

zanor

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
new bios 39sf040

M!k said:
There's no difference between the two types if you're just reading from the flash (assumed same or faster access time). But the problem is the write algorithm which the BIOS uses at startup to store some device infos. Take a look at the datasheet of the ST and SST flashs (different manufacturers!). They differ in sector size, manufacturer code, device code, algorithm etc...
If your BIOS can't handle this new type there seems to be no chance to get it running :-(

Mik

Did'nt know the BIOS was saving device info in the BIOS chip.. hmm.. I'll have to order a new chip then.. Hope that will help :roll:
Learning new thing's every day! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back