Is it possible to create a sound on a microchip PIC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlouks

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

I would like to know firstly if its possible to create a sound on a chip
(not record a sound onto a chip)

I have tried to record a sound onto a chip and play back through amplifiers and can never get a clean sound because the sound is being amplified so much.

Its not possible to clean the sound any further with the limited resources i have, so i figured it may be possible to re-create the sound on the chip itself. :idea:

PLEASE HELP !

Thanks in advance.

Nik.

Hi NIk,

Not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean real sounds?. The only reasonable way to sounds out of a pic is to pulse one of the port pins at different frequencies using software loops or timers, the faster the pulse train, the higher the tone, the ratio of on/off times also affects the tone. If you mess arount a little you can set different routines to approximate to musical notes, and therefore be able to generate simle tunes, like birthday cards etc. You may need a series resistor and parallel cap to clean up the sound, just experiment. So the basis of all this, is just switching a pin on and off at the right freqency. Any more than this, you really need a sound chip.

Actually, there are other ways. I find the next one quite interesting:

**broken link removed**

Its still just a variable bitstream, but a very neat and brilliant idea. Thanks for pointing this one out, I am sure it will be useful to quite a few people, possibly myself included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…