Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to create a device that forces current in a practical design?

mssong

Junior Member level 2
Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing an LDO.
In simulation, I'm using an idc source instead of a resistor to see if I can supply the desired current value,
but does a device exist that can force current like an idc source in the real world?

Thank you.

There are circuit configurations and IC's that can generate a constant current from a voltage source (current-mirrors are often used in analog ICs for that purpose) but none that can generate constant-current by themselves the way a battery generates a (mostly) constant-voltage.

Look up constant-current circuits, if interested.

What about doing an internet search for "constant current circuit"

Klaus
There are circuit configurations and IC's that can generate a constant current from a voltage source (current-mirrors are often used in analog ICs for that purpose) but none that can generate constant-current by themselves the way a battery generates a (mostly) constant-voltage.

Look up constant-current circuits, if interested.
I know there are sources that can supply constant current.

But what I want is an answer to the question of which devices can force a current to be drawn regardless of other loads.

Hi,

a constant current source is .. what it´s name says. The current is constant .. independent of load impedance (for a limited range)

It´s very unclear what
to be drawn regardless of other loads
means.

Textual description is not very useful to describe circuits
Thus some smart people invented schematics. So let´s use it!

Klaus

An inductor at the moment of shut-off attempts to continue carrying the same amount of Amperes as it did just beforehand. For a brief time it generates sufficient voltage to do this. The voltage can soar up to thousands, even to the point where sparks jump across conductors (arcing). To create a longer time (inductive time constant) while current fades, use a large Henry value and low ohms.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back