IR Remote Control using phototransistor, is it feasible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewandeur

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to use a phototransistor and a LM358 OP AMP instead of a IR module such as TSOP1738 to receive the signal, but it only works at small distance (30 to 40 cm).
Is there any other option to increase the distance, i.e. using lenses, another OP AMP?

TKx in advance

If you just want to construct a light sensing ckt , then you can use laser instead of ir to increase the range. Then use the same phototransistor-opamp circuitry to get the amplified s/l out of it.

ewandeur

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
IR remote control, apart with a laser as sreejith said but you must have good aim, it range is up to 50 meters. You must change for bigger distance a radio remote control.

ewandeur

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,
I appreciate the "clues", but I'm really need only a range of 2 or 3 meters, is there any option to improve the range within this limits using a phototransistor + opamp?

tkx a lot

Just open and look at the IR remote control section of any household appliance, where no laser, no lense used but you can control your appliances from up to 10 meters.

nguyennam

hey,
if u have to use phototransistor .. then i donno .. but if ur primary req is short distance then u can use TSOP 1738 also for that purpose ... just increase or decrease the frequency from 38khz u'll get resduced range...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…