Not open for further replies.

program

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi every one,

How can interface a camera module (serial) which shown in the following link to the RJ-45 Ethernet port of a wireless router? I want to open and control the camera over internet ( as IP Camera). I think it can be done by Ethernet module! If so, which one is suitable?

https://learn.adafruit.com/ttl-serial-camera/overview

Please any information?

The camera has only limited connectivity options:
- serial interface for control and still image download
- analog NTSC video

Digital video interfaces of the controller chip (M-JPEG, CCIR-656) aren't apparently exposed by the module

If you are satisfied with still images, you can connect the camera to an ethernet enabled microprocessor.

Thanks for reply, ok what about the following model, it should has JPEG engine (VC0706) used to compress the image. It has CCIRT656 digital video output.

**broken link removed**

Actually I need the still image to send the MMS and the video stream for surveillance.

You may want to consider a camera module like the OV7670, which are inexpensive and readily available. Coupled with an Ethernet enabled microprocessor, as suggested by FvM, is definitely doable.

Google for examples.

OV7670 - eBay Search

**broken link removed**

mbed - OV7670 Camera

BigDog

Thanks for information, is this module (OV7670) can be used to capture a still image in order to send it as MMS using GSM/GPRS module? and in the same time take a video?

what about the one in my previous reply (C429-L28 JPEG Compression VGA Camera Module)?

what about the one in my previous reply (C429-L28 JPEG Compression VGA Camera Module)?
By the way, do you understand from the documentation how motion JPEG can be accessed? I don't.

By the way, do you understand from the documentation how motion JPEG can be accessed? I don't.

Unfortunately no, I didn´t find information about that thing. I did´t study the document well, but in the instructions, there are allot of commands regarding the image format and motion detection.Right now, I do not know if this camera (C429) is the right choice for grab the image and video surveillance as well?

A lot of these devices may only support JPEG still image, and the same (lower res) for video, at maybe a few frames per sec.
I have a C328 device which is presumably a predecessor, and although I've not tried it, it is only capable of 0.75fps if used for a video mode. MJPEG is not really ideal for video surveillance. H.264 is good for that. Then, you need to find a way to capture the RTSP stream from Ethernet. Some of the good IP cameras will transmit H.264 and MJPEG simultaneously.
However, at a pinch, I suppose a cheap module with a very slow frame rate of JPEG may be usable, it really depends on your needs.
With video, how will you transmit it? Data via GSM? Do you have enough throughput for this?

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Well, I am electronic engineer but still in beginning, I found some tutorial regarding sending SMS/MMS using SIM900 GSM/GPRS module with a microcontroller such as pic or (Arduino platform ) . and I found that sending the sms/MMS is not so difficult issue.

For the video, the camera should be connected to the Ethernet port of an wireless router (through Ethernet module as I guess). I am still in the time of searching to get the experience from people like you.

- - - Updated - - -

I did a sketch regarding the project as shown bellow:

There are conflicting requirements. If you want decent video via Ethernet, then you may as well use an IP cam that outputs H.264 and MJPEG.
Then, you'll need to develop your own software to capture the MJPEG stream (via RTSP) and send a frame via your GSM module. Video is not possible over GSM data (well, at least not very practical). You need 3G for that.
If you're a beginner, it is a big project to capture a stream via Ethernet. Which is why you may need an IP cam that will let you (say) use FTP to transfer a single image. You need to research if such a cam exists (I don't know if one does or not). That is why I suggested as another option, maybe a serial interface device may be more convenient. But, don't expect a high frame rate in that case (i.e. maybe a frame a second). Modules such as those suggested in the posts above (e.g. see BigDog's links) are capable of far higher frame rate. You'd need to find a way to compress the video, or you could transmit the frame uncompressed. I'm not familiar with GSM modules.
In summary, you've got a bunch of choices - really depends on your needs (frame rate, required picture format, etc) and your capabilities.

Thanks for information, I know it is cannot send video via GSM, and its very difficult by GPRS or at lest not practice.
I will work on the both choices,

The first one by develop a software to capture the MJPEG stream via RTSP and send a frame via the GSM/GPRS module. In this case I will have a video surveillance from an pre manufactured IP camera plus a hardware to send MMS by GPRS module.

The second one is by using the module OV7670 for both video by wireless router and MMS (single frame) by GPRS module.

I have the time and the ability to search and learn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…