Status
Not open for further replies.

imranahmed

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please let me know how to find a inductance of inductor?

I have a toroid core inductor but inductance is unknown.

Knowing the number of turns is a start, but you also need to know the value called Al for the material, so I am guessing a calculation method is not viable here.

Next is using a LCR bridge instrument, which you may not have handy.

Another way is to temporarily put it in series with various capacitors, and connect to the end of a 50 Ohms cable, maybe with a further 100R in series, and use a signal generator. A diode probe (simple rectifier circuit), or maybe an oscilloscope across the inductor-capacitor combination will show a "dip", or collapse in the signal voltage as you cross the resonant frequency.

From there, you can use the formula.. Inductance = 1/(4*(pi^2)*(Freq^2)*Capacitance)

There is a great picture of the arrangement, and the full explanation of RLC resonance in the link ..
HERE --> LINK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit

The YouTube link suggested by wp100 is excellent. If you have an oscilloscope handy, and can contrive a fast edge logic square-wave to use instead of a signal generator, then measuring the "ringing" frequency is another way to get at it.

Last edited:
Put a known value of capacitor in parallel to inductor connect a signal generator and oscilloscope, see where the circuit resonates, note that frequency and by the common known formula of f=1/2*pi*sqrt(LC) calculate L.

Or secondly if you know your core like if it is FT-37-43 or etc then online calculator can give you your value

Status
Not open for further replies.