Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need help to replacing uA709 and lt1114

Midouu

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi evry one
What is a good modern day replacement for the uA709 and lt1114 operational amplifier?
thank you

As Crutschow stated, it depends on your application. The uA709 is now very old and it needed external components to keep it stable across its (narrow!) bandwidth. Modern op-amps sometimes offer compensation but most do not need it. You might also have to consider the package, most ua709 were made in metal cans with wires, not a package used these days although the pin functions are still valid.

LT1114 is still in production.

Brian.

The 709 has poor characteristics compared to modern, general-purpose op amps, so it makes no sense to try to find something that matches it.
If you are looking for a general-purpose op amp replacement, then tell us the likely applications for the amp.

Well, a passion for old electronics and the goal was to assemble the parts to make a GS4 metal detector. I think the NE5534 circuit can be a suitable alternative

hello here is the dschematic my brother

Attachments

• GS4. JB2.jpg
    GS4. JB2.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 17
Don't know what's required bandwidth of uA709 gain stage, uA709 has about 1 MHz bandwidth at G=450, GBW 450 MHz would be required to achieve 1 MHz. TL071 (GBW 5 MHz) has only 11 kHz bandwidth in this configuration.

To be honest FvM, I doubt it works well at all anyway. It seems to measure change in inductance in the pickup coil by pulsing it with high current via the IRF740 and measuring the resulting voltage across it through the uA709. At first I thought it might be looking for residual resonance in whatever it detected, a bit like TDR but that would require the uA709 to be gated off during the pulse transmission. Given the pulses come from a 555 timer running at about 450Hz, even with the relatively high gate current, I wouldn't expect a wide bandwidth is required. There are better ways of detecting metals and seeing if they are ferrous or not. I think the idea that is can distinguish gold from other non-ferrous metals is hard to believe.

Brian.

Must confess that I didn't try to analyze circuit operation in detail, see that we have a kind of a synchronous rectifier following uA709 gain stage, thus harmonics of 500 Hz pulse frequency may play a role as they translate into phase shift. Can be that 11 kHz bandwidth if TL071 is sufficient. I would probably try decompensated OP like LF357 (20 MHz GBW).

Must confess that I didn't try to analyze circuit operation in detail, see that we have a kind of a synchronous rectifier following uA709 gain stage, thus harmonics of 500 Hz pulse frequency may play a role as they translate into phase shift. Can be that 11 kHz bandwidth if TL071 is sufficient. I would probably try decompensated OP like LF357 (20 MHz GBW).
thank you for your response brother....In the sniffer xr 71 (delta pulse 2) device, the LF357 circuit was used. But there is a difference between the two schematics
--- Updated ---

To be honest FvM, I doubt it works well at all anyway. It seems to measure change in inductance in the pickup coil by pulsing it with high current via the IRF740 and measuring the resulting voltage across it through the uA709. At first I thought it might be looking for residual resonance in whatever it detected, a bit like TDR but that would require the uA709 to be gated off during the pulse transmission. Given the pulses come from a 555 timer running at about 450Hz, even with the relatively high gate current, I wouldn't expect a wide bandwidth is required. There are better ways of detecting metals and seeing if they are ferrous or not. I think the idea that is can distinguish gold from other non-ferrous metals is hard to believe.

Brian.
(( I think the idea that is can distinguish gold from other non-ferrous metals is hard to believe ))
Certainly this is impossible...some devices PI metal detectors distinguish ferrous from other non-ferrous metals or reject iron With some problems like the loss of detection range
--- Updated ---

I have used the LF357 circuit in other devices, but the results are very different depending on the manufacturer.....

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: