Not open for further replies.

amihomo

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have problem in setting up a simple peer to peer network!!!!
I'm trying to network only 3 PC's running Windows XP. I have got a Dlink hub-switch , and i've installed the wiring needed using CAT5 cable and RJ-45 connectors. when connecting the cabls to PC's and the hub ports , the led indicators become ON , indicating tat the cables are good.

I ha done all settings necesary for the workgroup , including:
1-assigning a unique name to each PC and a common workgroup name for all.
2-instaling th folowing Protocols :
Clients for microsoft windows ; TCP/IP protocol ; NetBEUI protocol , ....
3- giving each pc an IP address (192.168.0.1 , 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3)
4-enabling the NetBIOS over TCP/IP

but, afterall , the systems does not see each other , and even the ping command does rquire timeout and no packets are recieved at the destination .

Do I need to use a WINS server ? please hep me

Another (much easier) option is to use Network Magic ..
**broken link removed**
With a click of a mouse (even without knowing anything about networks, IP and all that b.. stuff from microsoft) you will be able to set up your network ..
Try it - it's good ..

Regards,
IanP

If ping doesn't work, be sure you used a sensible subnet mask such as 255.255.255.0.

Small WinXP networks usually don't need WINS or NetBEUI.

Check your Windows Event Log for error messages.

I have installed "fle and print sharing" , and the sub net mask is 255.255.255.0 , also the windows firewall is disabled ; however the network doesn 't work.

Have you enabled sharing for at least one folder on each computer? You can either enable sharing for the "Shared Documents" folder, or you can create an empty "Temp" folder and enable sharing for it. If sharing is not enabled for at least one folder on a computer, you won't see the computer in your network.

To enable sharing, right click on a folder name, and select "Properties". Go to the "Sharing" tab, and click in the box to allow network sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.