Howto connect an internal soundcard to PCs serial/parallel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

unlving

Serial sound card

How can you connect a normal internal soundcard to a computer serial or parralel port.
I have a Genius sound card that I do not need a Toshiba T2130CS laptop without a soundcard.
I was thinking of windows 95 program that can decode music and transmit through serial or parallel port to sound card then to pair of speakers.
How can it be built (I need to say that I am new to electronics).
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP! 8O

Re: Serial sound card

Connecting ISA or PCI cards to serial or parralel port by simple means is impossible. Serial port doesn't have enough speed for that, same for parallel for 16/32 bits transfer required by an internal card. Besides that, you'll have to write some drivers which are also complicated. Search for a PCMCIA sound card, it is the best way for you, especially if you are newbie in electronics.

/pisoiu

It is easy to design hardware,but it difficult to program deiver.

How bout I built my custom sound card that can match the serial or parralel port interface (Or both If I manage to split the signals so it can transmit one half on serial and one half on the parralel and it will just combine at the end and provide a relative speed.

Sound via parallel port is possible (did this myself in old Atari days).
A dirt cheap solution would be to build a simple D/A converter using a couple of resistors. On the referenced page, you'll also find a Win3.1/Win95/Win98 driver. Running this with Linux should also be doable.

But IMHO, you should dump your old hardware and get some stuff that was built this century.

Serial sound card

Why dump it? I don't want to experiment on my IBM laptop or my computer? I'ts cheaper and safer to experiment on an old hardware. And by de way, I built this D/A converter and installed the covox driver but all the sound I played through it are barely inteligible the rest is pauses and and a weird woshing sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…