Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to implement a pulse LOS detection circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

chang830

Full Member level 5
Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I need a pulse Los detection circuit, but I don't know how to implement it.

The requirement is the block can give the alarm signal when no pulse(or rise edge) is found in given time.

Anyone pls. shed some light on it?

Thanks in advance

Pulse los detection

I assume LOS means Loss of Signal.

One way to do that -- design an up-counter that increments continuously, but resets to zero whenever an input pulse occurs. If the count reaches your desired timeout value, then stop counting and trigger the alarm.

Re: Pulse los detection

echo47 said:
I assume LOS means Loss of Signal.

One way to do that -- design an up-counter that increments continuously, but resets to zero whenever a pulse is detected. If the count reaches your desired timeout value, then stop counting and trigger the alarm.

Hi echo47,
Thanks for your reply.

The difficulty here is there is no clock signal in my block. So, the counter can not be used.

I heared the monostabillity trigger circuit can implement it. But I don't know how to implement it.

Pls. help me.

Thanks

Pulse los detection

What type of FPGA/CPLD/PLD are you using? It may be possible to implement a simple oscillator, or add an external RC time constant.

How long is your required timeout? How accurate does it need to be?

Or are you simply writing an HDL testbench, so you don't need real hardware?

chang830

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Pulse los detection

Not all monostable can be re-triggered ..
One example of those which can is the 74123 ..
The time can be set by RC and every incomming pulse that comes within this time will re-trigger the circuit ..
If there is no pulse the output will jump from "1" to "0" or from "0" to "1" depending on which output you choose ..
Should't be difficult to build ..

Regards,
IanP

chang830

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back