Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to distinguish between IRLED or IRphotodiode/transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhilele

Advanced Member level 3
Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have got IR LED and IR photo transistor but now they are mixed.
I want to know which are IR leds and which are IR phototransistor

interestind thing is IR phototransistor have same looks as that of IR led.

can we used forward and reverse voltage measurements to distinguish between them.

Re: how to distinguish between IRLED or IRphotodiode/transis

You should certainly be able to drop volatge across them each (at very low current) to see which one conducts down to a 1.2 Volt drop. This would be the diode. Once you have what you think is the diodes drive them a little harder to turn on. You can check with a video camera to see the IR output from the diode. Most older video cameras will see down to about 1 micron wavelength.

Take 1kΩ resistor, 4.5-5V power supply (battery) and connect in series with a cmponent (IR diode or transistor) .. see picture below (use 1kΩ) ..
If it is IR diode (IR LED forward voltage drop of about 1.6-2V) you should measure in one direction 1.6-2V and full 4.5-5V (power source) voltage in the opposite direction ..
If it is IR phototransistor you will measure roughly 4.5-5V (supply voltage) in both directions, unless this component is exposed to the IR radiation, and fully exposed to the IR may show voltage of <1V between collector and emitter ..

Rgards,
IanP

nikhilele

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

a note on testing the IR LED...
just take a digital camera and turn on the IR LED, if its bright... then its surely a LED :D
for an IR LED the colour should be kinda white/bright blue

Now i have a digital camera in my mobile phone
i have moto l6 and i see ir through that
but both ir photo diode and ir led are glowing when connected to 1k resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back