Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to determine integrated oscillator temperature range? [Cadence Virtuoso]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpuc

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody, I'm new and this is my first thread.

I would like to ask how to determine the temperature range of a integrated oscilaltor on Virtuoso IC 6.1.7.
I'm designing a digitally controlled oscillator (DCO), controlled by 11 bits, in the frequency range between 1.5 GHz and 2.5 GHz.

The method I'm usying is this: I make PVT simulations (using ADEXL) to see wheter the circuit is able to work properly in the range of temperature between 0 °C and 125 °C. With "work properly" I mean to verify that the performance parameters of the oscillator (like phase noise, jitter, voltage swing and dissipated power) are still good despite the process, voltage, temperature corner, but also for different frequencies.

Moreover, I verify that the system is able to start the oscillation for different corners and frequencies. The hardest is the one at T=0°C, VDD reduced of the 10%, the technology corner is the slow one and the selected frequency is the slowest. In this condition the loop gain is reduced and the system will take some more time to start oscillating.

I do this for pre-layout simulations and then for post-layout simulations: if the system can start the oscillation and the performance parameters are still good, i can conclude that the system is able to work in the range between 0°C and 125°C.

Do you think this is good? I haven't find anything online that could explain a project flow to determine the temperature range of an IC.

Usually temperature range is an operation condition within the circuit has to performed or be at least functional. If you look for data sheets you may notice that various series of ICs are dedicated to operate within some standarized temp ranges like -40/125, -20/105, 0/85 required by army, industry or home usage.

So the designer task is to ensure that circuit is operating within given range, not say this is range proper for my circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back