Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to design provention of power reverse connection on chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver_aries

Newbie level 2
Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,everyone.
I am designing a chip based on typical N-well cmos process.I need to design a circuit to provent the chip damage when the power and ground reverse connection.I have read several papers about this topic.But most of them are based on PCB level.Just like set a diode connection in sieries at the VDD PAD,and so on.
Here are my questions:
1、My design don't need too much current.Can I integrate this diode into my chip?If yes,How to design the ESD protection to VDD?
2、Are there any other ways to realize that?

Thanks for helping.

If your I/O Lib has the std. ESD protection:

... you could use an input or an I/O pad for your VDD input, if your VDD supply is externally current limited. The anti-parallel diodes of T1 & T2 of the output drivers (corresponding to D1 & D2 of the pure input pad) usually can stand at least 10mA, high current I/O pads about the same current as they can deliver in the output case.

If your external VDD supply isn't limited to such a current, you could perhaps integrate a small pre-resistance - if you can stand the voltage drop (additionally to the diode voltage drop) in the normal function.

Thanks a lot,erikl.
In my system,there is no place for an external resistor to be set on PCB.I think the second way you provide is a better one than diode.It still will effect the ESD to VDD,but much better than a reversed PN junction of a diode.
Thank you again.You helped me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back