Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many clock cycles should the reset signal be asserted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcpdevs

Newbie level 5
Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

How can we figure out for how many clock cycles should the reset signal be active before it is pulled out/de-asserted?

Regards,
Devaraj

that depend of your design/ip used, and if your reset is synchrone or asynchrone?
some ip, like Cortex requires at least 3 clock cycle durations.

Thanks for the quick response.

I would like to know, On what basis one determines the duration of the reset (with respect to number of clocks) to be in active state so that the all the flops in the design are initialized. You have said, Cortex requires at least 3 clock cycle durations. How do they arrive that?

BTW, the reset is asynchronous.

Here is what I have some thoughts but not sure whether it is correct.
I guess the reset signal should be active for the duration equal to amount of delay in the critical path. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also let me know the same for Synchronous reset

Thanks

When a design requires 3 clock cycles for a reset, that means, some flop without reset followed some flop with reset.
The reset signal must buffered correctly by the BE tools, and respect the timing constraints, like the critical path.
Generally, we synchronize (de-asserted) on the opposite edge of the clock (used by the flop) the reset signal to avoid the edge of the clock and the reset occur at the same time.

Reactions: jaydip

jaydip

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Generally designs will be with reset assertion asynchronous and deassertion synchronous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back