Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How hard is Digital Signal Processing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kemosleni74

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm a third year electrical engineering student and I'm on the fence about taking Digital Signal Processing. I want to take the class but I don't know if I'll be able to handle it with my other courses. I spoke with a professor at my school who I will be doing research under and he said he highly recommends me doing it especially for what I want to go into. So how hard is it to pick up and understand? I have had a systems and signals class last semester and did great in it so I'm familiar with all of the transforms and complex algebra required.

Hi,

Digital signal processing is a wide field.

it can be as simple as an audio volume control: Just multiply the incoming data with a "volume" value and send it out....
That´s it. Simpe onle line C code.

But if you want to create a colored 3D model of a blood vessel net from some 2D (ultrasonic, XRay..) pictures, then this may be a huge challenge.

Don´t be afraid. If you are familiar with programming, then Digital Signal Processing nothing very different, but focussed on processing a lot of input data with some algorithm.
From very simple to vry difficult.

Nobody expects that you know everything from the start. You are in a learning process. Continously somehow. (but who is not?)
In school as well as in your job.

Klaus

Took it last year, it was more difficult and more interesting than I expected. The lab component had us doing tons of matlab and C.

Took it last year, it was more difficult and more interesting than I expected. The lab component had us doing tons of matlab and C Tutuapp 9apps Showbox .
If you are good with a software/computational approach then Allen Downey's material is probably ideal for you. Allen's a great teacher, makes complex topics seem obvious and simple, and has his material available for free. His book Think DSP is is readily available (but if you find it useful I do recommend buying a copy to support him), and he has given tutorials on the subject at PyCon as well as elsewhere that are available on-line.

DSP knowledge you learn serves you years.

Status
Not open for further replies.