Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you extract self-inductances, coupling coefficient (k), and quality factor from 4-port S-parameter file of a transformer?

giorgi3092

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So, I have made a transformer in CMOS that has 4 ports.

Coil 1: ports 1 and 2

Coil 2: ports 3 and 4

in this arrangement (pictorial):
1719260006466.png

Then, I put this in EMX and simulate it, giving me a 4-port S-parameter file (s4p). EMX has this nice feature that when you simulate a 4-port structure and select that it is a transformer, it will plot for you self-inductances, coupling coefficient and the quality factor. But I want to do it myself and not rely on it because it is a bit clumsy and more importantly, I want to understand it.

So far, I am aware that in case of 2 port s2p data, the following equation can be used:
1719260020434.png

But, I need to do this for an s4p file.

I also found this thread where the OP had solved the problem of self-inductances and the quality factor but had not figured out the coupling coefficient. I checked this and the results do not match what EMX plots.

Here's my replication of what OP shows in that thread:
1719260052043.png

1719260066284.png

First, I don't understand where this equation is coming from and the OP had not clarified this

CR_diff1=(S(1,1)+S(2,2)-S(1,2)-S(2,1)-2*(S(1,1)*S(2,2)-S(1,2)*S(2,1)))/(2-(S(1,1)+S(2,2)+S(1,2)+S(2,1)))

Can anyone shed light on how this is derived? Maybe sources in literature?

But, I must say the results from this are at least reasonable, even though it does not match what EMX shows for the same data....

Also, the issue of coupling coefficient still stand and would like to know how that might be done. If anyone know, I would appreciate if you could clarify or point me to the right literature.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back