How Digital Control Ossilator make output in-phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherishnguyen

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have read through some doc about ADPLL. It containts 3 parts: PFD, Filter, DCO. The main part DCO will adjust the output based on input frequency. Let say: i want to generate output fo= 2fi from reference input freq, fi= 100Mhz. The DCO will do some stuff in order to generate fDCO=200Mhz, and in this state, fDCO = fo, we call it "PLL Locked". This can easily done by using a counter or accummulator in DCO. BUT i wonder about the phase difference between 2 signal fDCO, and fi. It's seem to me that ADPLL easily say "PLL Locked" when 2 signals equal (frequency equality) , and don't care about the phase between them, early or lately.

Can anyone help me out? what really means by that word "locked"? Since, some docs i have read about DDS just only focus on what argorithm to get fDCO ~ fo, and nothing concern about phase difference, even they used the Phase Frequency Dectector.

Actually you are talking about Phase lock loop, and a phase lock means rate of change of phase is locked (frequency) there can be a constant phase difference between input and output signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.