Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I solder a ball grid array sensors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asic1984

Full Member level 5
Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
reball toaster

hi all

any idea about how can i soldier a ball grid array sensors

whish to have details about this operation

thanks

Re: ball grid array ?

From an amateur perspective

How many balls do you need to connect?

The biggest problem is not soldering it, but routing the connections out. I can solder a 160 pin qfp, but no way can I route all the connections on a home-made board.

There are four methods available to an amateur to mount a BGA:

1. Drill tiny holes through the PCB under each ball, use a plated-hole repair kit to plate the holes. Firmly press the bga againsth PCB then use the wicking effect of a small hole to pull solder up from underneath. Not very reliable imho.

2. Use the "toaster oven" method. Probably more reliable than the above one.
**broken link removed**
https://www.stencilsunlimited.com/
Still doesn't solve the routing out problem though.

3. Glue the bga on upside down. Hand-solder (under magnification) thin wires to the balls. Wire these to your PCB where you need them. Noise problems with long exposed wires though???.

4. Pay someone else to do it. Or at least pay for a proper PCB, then use the toaster oven method on it.

Really, you are at the limits of possibility for amateur production methods. I would be interested to hear your progress if you try it.

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back