[SOLVED] How can I set up a binary country to count in bcd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanderist

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I set up a binary counter to count in bcd?

https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/5723/MOTOROLA/SN74LS393D.html

I am trying to set up a a 4-bit binary counter to rest at count ten.

Since I didn't have LS390' I had to create a condition rest clock made from an AND gate chip.

First I used one gate to get triggered when Qc and Qa where active. However when I do this it only counts to seven and resets. Then I tried adding in the full rest conditions using three AND gates making a number ten detector ( hex inverter chip is used as well). It still continues to count to seven. However if I let the counter count with the number ten detector still connected but not to the reset I can see that the circuit turns high with an LED when the counter reaches number ten.

How would I go about setting up this chip to count in BCD, without having to get buy new chips?

Last edited:

Re: How can I set up a binary counter to count in bcd?

you have to AND Q3 and Q1 (out of Q0,Q1, Q2, Q3) and feed to the reset pin. Counter will count from 0 ..9. The 0xA will trigger a reset back to 0. So there will be a short glitch at count 10 which is the propagation delay of your AND gate and your '393 reset circuit.

Re: How can I set up a binary counter to count in bcd?

I was able to correct the propagation delay by using a small cap(104) connected from the output of the AND gate to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…