Jessay Blue

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
osd chip st

Hello Sirs!

Is anybody on this whole planet earth can help me to build a prototype of a OSD (ON Screen Display), while using any 8051 variant and an OSD chip from NEC or Samsung.

i'll be very

Thanks.

osd chip

ST Microelectronics used to manufacture a very nice chip called STV5730 that, an OSD controller that can be interfaced with virtually any microcontroller. At some point they stoped building it, after that I heard some rumours that they started production again, I don't know the truth, but the fact is that I'm still able to find it in my country, so maybe you could have a chance too.

Kripton2035 said:
maxim has a chip that does almost all
look at their web site in the video tab

www.maxim-ic.com

You are probably reffering to the MAX4455 chip; it's a very powerful chip that can display graphics on screen from more than one video source at a time. At the same time it's not very easy to use, it's quite expensive and it requires some DRAM memory in order to work. This is overkill for a simple, text-only OSD display project; the STV5730 is a much better choice for this. If you know some other OSD chip from Maxim (besides the 4455) please let me know.

you're right bogdan

I only remember having a lot of difficulties to buy the stv5730 chip... it's an obsolete part and I'm also searching for a new chip to do such things (osd)

While you're looking for that chip, also take a look at:

https://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ee476/video/index.html
(Video generation with AVR microcontrollers)

https://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ee476/FinalProjects/
(a list of final projects. lots of them use video generation)

It's very interesting what they did with an AVR ... Also check out www.avrfreaks.net ; under the Academy tab you'll find a lot of projects dealing with displays, one of them (AVR-OSD) uses an AVR to turn a TV into an OSD LCD-like display (32x20 characters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…