Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can i build a OSD prototype ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessay Blue

Newbie level 3
Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
osd chip st

Hello Sirs!

Is anybody on this whole planet earth can help me to build a prototype of a OSD (ON Screen Display), while using any 8051 variant and an OSD chip from NEC or Samsung.

i'll be very :D

Thanks.

osd chip

ST Microelectronics used to manufacture a very nice chip called STV5730 that, an OSD controller that can be interfaced with virtually any microcontroller. At some point they stoped building it, after that I heard some rumours that they started production again, I don't know the truth, but the fact is that I'm still able to find it in my country, so maybe you could have a chance too.

Kripton2035 said:
maxim has a chip that does almost all
look at their web site in the video tab

www.maxim-ic.com

You are probably reffering to the MAX4455 chip; it's a very powerful chip that can display graphics on screen from more than one video source at a time. At the same time it's not very easy to use, it's quite expensive and it requires some DRAM memory in order to work. This is overkill for a simple, text-only OSD display project; the STV5730 is a much better choice for this. If you know some other OSD chip from Maxim (besides the 4455) please let me know.

you're right bogdan

I only remember having a lot of difficulties to buy the stv5730 chip... it's an obsolete part and I'm also searching for a new chip to do such things (osd)

While you're looking for that chip, also take a look at:

https://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ee476/video/index.html
(Video generation with AVR microcontrollers)

https://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ee476/FinalProjects/
(a list of final projects. lots of them use video generation)

It's very interesting what they did with an AVR ... Also check out www.avrfreaks.net ; under the Academy tab you'll find a lot of projects dealing with displays, one of them (AVR-OSD) uses an AVR to turn a TV into an OSD LCD-like display (32x20 characters).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back