High Current Variable Power Supply Using LM317 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I need to build 5AMP Power supply with constant current and variable voltage. Actually problem is i cannot get more than 1.5A from single LM317 so how to use it ? Can i use those parallel with 1 single Variable Resistor ? please guide me for some specific circuit.....which could help me to get 5AMP or +

Awaiting reply..

Should it be a high side or low side constant current source? Switching or linear regulation at what voltage range? For a high end 5A current regulator there is an application in the old NSC datasheet(page 18:http://www.ee.buffalo.edu/courses/elab/LM117.pdf ). For low side constant current sources you might lock a laser driver iCs.

Enjoy your design work!

Hello,

I need high side driver, i just need simple Power Supply for my Projects. But i have LM317 Available here and i want to use 4-5AMP from LM317 i heard about Pass transistor which could take upto 5Amp while using with LM317 power transistor like TIP127 will work ? for that ?

Reactions: DrWhoF

DrWhoF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

thanks alot i hope it will work i have TIP127 ready..

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,

Maybe the LM338 is another option: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm138.pdf .

Enjoy your design work!

Dear,

my first try was LM338K, but its heat is too much....so i dont prefer that now....it was getting heated even with large heat sink i donno there was any issue with my circuit or whatever it was....but at high temperature it was not able to drive 2AMP Load with big heatsink too...

- - - Updated - - -

i have TIP127 available with me so can i use 2 of them parallel to equal to TIP147 ?

i have TIP127 available with me so can i use 2 of them parallel to equal to TIP147 ?

2 TIPs 127 (or more) is a good idea ...
Don’t forget about base-current-equalizing-resistors and mount them (TIP127) on a decent heat sink :grin:

:wink:
IanP

Reactions: DrWhoF

DrWhoF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Don’t forget about base-current-equalizing-resistors and mount them (TIP127) on a decent heat sink :grin:

IanP

IanP

how to connect ? two or more TIP127 ? In parellel ? you mean to say connect base to base collector to collector and emitter to emitter ? like that way ?

is this circuit ok ? like this way ? 4X TIP127 parallel ? to support upto 20A max...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…