Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS plot fields help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gujjubhai123

Newbie level 4
Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am designing a dielectric sensor which consists of an interdigital capacitor (IDC) at the top layer. I found analytical expressions for an IDC in a 3-layer dielectric stackup and currently debugging my setup. (The theoretical estimate is 40% higher compared to HFSS). Although my expression evaluations is a suspect, if you have any suggestions in setting up HFSS properly for an IDC, your comments would be appreciated.

More importantly, I am trying to plot E-field distributions to help determine my optimum finger spacing.

Tradeoffs: (1) If finger spacing is too tight, all electric flux "resides" inside the top-layer dielectric (not helpful), but you get higher pF/unit-area. (2) If finger spacing is too large, I expect greater portion of the total electric flux to reside in the dielectric above the IDC (thus having larger dC/d(eps_dielectric) dependency).

I have tried using the Plot Fields -> E -> Vector_E. But it shows straight, colored arrows shooting perpendicular to an edge of my fingers. Not useful. Is there a clever way by which one can take div or curls and then plot the E-fields?

Thanks in advance,

pruthvic said:
Hello,

I am designing a dielectric sensor which consists of an interdigital capacitor (IDC) at the top layer. I found analytical expressions for an IDC in a 3-layer dielectric stackup and currently debugging my setup. (The theoretical estimate is 40% higher compared to HFSS). Although my expression evaluations is a suspect, if you have any suggestions in setting up HFSS properly for an IDC, your comments would be appreciated.

More importantly, I am trying to plot E-field distributions to help determine my optimum finger spacing.

Tradeoffs: (1) If finger spacing is too tight, all electric flux "resides" inside the top-layer dielectric (not helpful), but you get higher pF/unit-area. (2) If finger spacing is too large, I expect greater portion of the total electric flux to reside in the dielectric above the IDC (thus having larger dC/d(eps_dielectric) dependency).

I have tried using the Plot Fields -> E -> Vector_E. But it shows straight, colored arrows shooting perpendicular to an edge of my fingers. Not useful. Is there a clever way by which one can take div or curls and then plot the E-fields?

Thanks in advance,

After choosing your desired object or surfaces Try complex mag E instead of vector E. If you don't pick surfaces only you will get a cloud plot. HFSS will autoscale to the maximum E field found. Remember that quantities sjhown are peak and not RMS

Status
Not open for further replies.