Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with sine wave inverter charging

Joeadeoye

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I made a pure sine wave inverter using a low frequency transformer and full bridge mosfet configuration and it's working fine. Now I want to include a charging function in the same inverter.

The transformer used is 7v-220v and 4 IRF3205 mosfets were used to form the full bridge.

Talking about the charging, if 220v AC mains is applied to the transformer, the secondary side will give 7v AC which is too small to charge a 12v battery.

I have seen some commercial inverters do this, but I don't know how the voltage was boosted from 7v to 13.8v needed to charge the battery.

I have seen some threads discussing the same issue I am having but none of the answers in the thread worked for me.

The above links discuss the same issue I am trying to resolve. Please I need help

I used a mower which had electric start built-in (Lawn Boy brand). The battery was 6V and the charger read something like 5V with my old-fashioned VOM. The system worked for years.

For a long time I puzzled that the charger could make do at charging on that low voltage. Eventually I realized it had no smoothing capacitor. It produced peaks which were higher than the battery voltage therefore the charger's peaks were sufficient to do the job.

With 7VDC input you can do likewise by a voltage multiplier or boost converter. One is based on capacitors, the other is based on an inductor. You can build either type to double 7V and produce sufficient voltage to charge a 12V battery.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: