Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with PCB design for switching LED driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

Newbie level 2
Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm having some trouble with an LED driver that I built. It uses an ISSI chip which has built in modes (high, medium, low).

http://www.issiusa.com/pdf/31LT3380.pdf

I'm trying to drive the LED at 1000 mA on High and the efficiency is somewhat poor at only 84.5%. The chip gets extremely hot within seconds, which causes it to drop to medium mode. I think this is due to the layout of the traces and the components that were selected.

Here are the details:

• Schottky Diode
Vishay B240A-E3/61T
Voltage Max - 40V
Current - 2A
Forward Voltage - 550mV @ 2A
Speed - Fast Recovery =< 500ns, > 200mA (Io)
Reverse Leakage Current - 500µA @ 40V

• Inductor
Epcos Inc. B82464A4473K
Core - Ferrite
Inductance - 47uH
Current - 1.5A
Current Saturation - 1.8A
DC Resistance - 140 mOhm Max

• Set Resistor
0.1 ohm, 1/4W, 1%

• Filtering Caps
All the filtering caps are ceramic low ESR X5R or X7R with values identical to what's shown in the datasheet.

• LED
One string of two Cree XT-E's. This is just for testing the circuit. The final design will use a single Cree XR-E.

Some measurements

Power Supply
Voltage = 9V
Current = 960mA
Watts = 8.64W

LED
Voltage = 6.71V
Current = 1.090A
Watts = 7.314W
Overall Efficiency = 84.65%

Here is the board layout.

issiExample2.jpg

issiTestPcb.jpg

Does anything standout which would cause the efficiency to be so low? I really wish the chip was available in something other than SO-8, but that's all that they offer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have little experience in electronics, but am willing to try anything to make this work.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.