Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help to analyze FFT spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

kickbeer

Full Member level 3
Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

There is a phenomonen that i don't understand about the FFT spectrum. I just executed a FFT spectrum of the output of an ideal DAC which is connected to ADc under test.As you can see below, my fundamental signal (inpu signal) is 2 MHz and is the longest in the spectrum. The sampling rate of my ADC is 25 MHz. At 23 MHz (25MHz-2MHz) and at 27 MHz (25MHz + 2 MHz), it seems that the fundamental signals re-appear but they are shorter than fundamental signal. It happen again at (50MHz-2MHz) and at (50MHz +2MHz) and so at every factor of 25MHz(plus and minus 2MHz) Anyone understand about this?? Really need help. Thx in advanced

1. A sampled signal's spectrum is periodical in frequency with +/-n*fs and mirrored at fs/2 (aliasing effect)
2. The stepped DAC output (first order hold element) is adding a sin(x)/x frequency characteristic

Status
Not open for further replies.