Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help required for practical tank circuit

gary36

Full Member level 4
Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a voltage which is of the form Asinwt*cos(w1t-phi), where w= 50hz and w1= 1khz. I need to extract the carrier in a simple way using parallel tank circuit tuned at 1KHz.

Suggest me a circuit that works.

Parallel Tank response :

1723985172366.png

You have to account for input and output Z the tank has to respond to. Al;so G needed in circuit and
its BW.

Regards, Dana.

Asinwt*cos(w1t-phi) is suppressed carrier AM, means that carrier phase is inverted every 10 ms.

Tank Q must low enough to allow output to follow input signal. With infinite Q you get zero output.

since carrier is suppressed, is there a way to recover 1 khz carrier cos(w1t- phi)? dropping the first term (btw, i do not wish to use costas loop)

Costas loop .....attached.

Oops I see no Costas, this approach, also discussed in attached -

\
1724000037405.png

Is this phase synchronous, I did not read the entire doc ....? Does not look like it is....

Note your attempt at just a BPF implies, because of depth of carrier suppression, a
lot of G is needed to recover, hence would have to be low noise, and one would
have to consider jitter (FM in this case) resulting from noise in recovered signal path.

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

• ch6.pdf
    156.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
A PLL can achieve more than an ILL, Injection Locked loop.

Here using a Phase Shift Osc as a BPF and limiting the AM-SC injected as ground ref. noise causes FM noise at subthreshold at low carrier levels

Top signals are AM input, Carrier out and Limiter out (B)
Bottom plots show more signals and different time scales.

1724003946198.png

Falstad Site if Offline, but I have the standalone version.

A possible solution is double carrier frequency by a full wave rectifier. This eliminates 180 degree phase jump on modulation polarity change. Then apply bandpass filter.

A possible solution is double carrier frequency by a full wave rectifier. This eliminates 180 degree phase jump on modulation polarity change. Then apply bandpass filter.
Yes I thought of that but then dividing by 2 to recover the carrier frequency has phase ambiguity.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back