Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help regarding selection of 5 volt cutoff device

Status
Not open for further replies.

shank047

Newbie level 3
Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi , i am a kind of newbie to the electronics .
I wanted to know if any specific power electronic or just a regular diode is available so that it can cutoff 5-6 volts dc supply.
Particularly i want this device to send no current between 0 to 5 volts , but only to start conducting after reaching 5 volts + value.

Is there any zener diode with 5 v cutoff available ? If so can anyone suggest the IC number or so.

1N5338 is a 5.1volt zener. What are you really trying to do? How much current do you need? A zener might work, but it's not a linear device.

You can use this circuit:

Attachments

• Control circuit.GIF
    Control circuit.GIF
    14.7 KB · Views: 123
well i am trying to build a switch using power mosfet and a microcontroller which can turn on only when the voltage is beyond 5 volts. (max voltage will be 6 volts i think )
For this my zener diode will act as an indicator , which when connected to an ADC , will send an signal to mc . (well use of mc is very important as i have to perform additional tasks using this mc kit ). MC in turn will send in gate vltg to the mosfet for turning it on.

i am attaching a basic block diag representing d ckt

If you are using ACD, no need for the zener diode.
You may use a voltage divider (two resistors in series) on the ADC input and let the microcontroller to compare the ADC output data with a preset value to decide when to shutdown power…

If you are using ACD, no need for the zener diode.
You may use a voltage divider (two resistors in series) on the ADC input and let the microcontroller to compare the ADC output data with a preset value to decide when to shutdown power…

ok.
then according to my above ckt diag , am i going correctly ?( except the use of zener diode of course )
Do i need to make any more changes to it, like a use of an DAC between mc and the gate terminal of mosfet ? I think so 'coz the mc will b sending out digital signals , so will it be enough to control the gate terminal vltg.?

Seems u building a Mercedes to go to the local shop to buy beer .
Why not build a simple comparator ( with a resistor and 5v zener diode) that will switch on a mosfet or relay that will supply the load . if u must use mpu cause there is another reason then shank idea is perfect

No need to use DAC. :smile:
Simply connect the port to a bipolar transistor, see details here:

Attachments

• Control 2.GIF
    Control 2.GIF
    6.1 KB · Views: 122
Thanx.
I think that will do the trick for me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.