Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP ON MOTION ESTIMATION in VIDEO COMPRESSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

swahlah

Full Member level 2
Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am working on H.264 Video Encoder. I have tested several Motion Estimators like EPZS and UMHexagonS and lots others but i couldn't find anyone much closer to the full search. Can any one please tell me that which one motion estimator is best for this encoder architecture,
Thanks,

do you mean in terms of PSNR quality? Some of them maight be close to full-search but none gets better PSNR its is obvious (i mean for the block-matching algorithms of course).

Try the three-step logarithmic search, it is quite good.

the_penetrator©

Your proposal is totally bogus. I have tested lots of motion estimation algorithms and i know that three step search is a very bad algorithm for next generation encoders and as H.264 is a next generation encoder it requires a more robust algorithms. EPZS and UMHexagon are already outperforming the Other conventional algorithms like Three step search and conjugate direction searches. But i need a more robust and fast adaptive motion estimator.
And of course PSNR~Bitrate is one of the testing metrices.

Thanks but no thanks for your invaluable suggestion,

Spiral-searches or diamond searches are close to what you want? What are these algorithms you refer to, block-matching or adaptive block area algos?

Look here pal, if you are not discussing the profile of your applications, and especially the type of input streams (fast-changing or not, high-contrast or not) you won't get much help.

BTW I have designed 2 FSMD architectures for motion estimation, in VHDL, the one of those featuring complex non-cached memory architecture. So I am qualified to discuss this stuff. Also, TSS is not that bad for low motion.

the_penetrator©

Dear PIMR,
This paper seems to be nice. But can u please highlight the different DSP / Hardware implementation issues of this algorithm in context of memory and Data loads and stores and also parallel processing issues,

Sincerely,
SHAFIQUE

can everybody send to me the coding and documentation?

in c programming..

thanks

regards
IS

hi

sorry for asking..

do u hav the coding and the documentation?

i am aware of a recent nice work on motion estimator designs.

Look here:
**broken link removed**

You will probably find a simulator. I'm not sure about HDL codes, but it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back