Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogu Reginald

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know the current that LM016 lcd draws from a power supply when it is ON?

Hi,

Around 3 to 4 ma, not including any backlight.

I mean the backlighting. If I connect the backlight to LM7805, the regulator heats up even in the presence of a big heat sink. Can anyone help me with a solution to remedy the situation?

7805 is 1A. See it 1N4007 is also heating. If bridge is used it should be 2 or 3A type. Post circuit. Backlight will not draw more than 500 mA.

Hi,

You should not be connecting the 7805 directly to the backlight which is typically rated at 4.2v maximum.

Best to use a fixed or variable resistor between the 7805 and backlight, mine is a 2k trimmer and is measuring 400 ohm to give a good brightness to the backlight though it may be a bit different on your brand of lcd , so start of with say 470 ohm.

Current from the 12v rail feeding the 7805 micro and lcd / backlight just 30 ma

See the circuit and make correctios/modification where necessary.

Hi,

The resistor is fitted as shown.

Also would not use the transformer like your diagram, 24vac will just produce too much of a voltage drop and heat across the 7805.
Just using one secondary would be better.

To answer your comment about 48 v into a 7805, check its datasheet, the maximum input voltage is 35v , thats why it was over heating

Attachments

• 000092.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Does anyone know the current that LM016 lcd draws from a power supply when it is ON?

According to datasheet, at 5V power supply current is typical 1mA and 3mA maximum. There is no backlight data because this LCD dont have background light.

Additional informations :

Recommended voltages according to temperatures

0C - 4,6V
25C - 4,4V
50C - 4,2V

Best regards,
Peter

Please what can I do in the case of 48V to stop the 7805 from over heating?
I am tapping my input from four 12V batteries which are in series and is already in use by an inverter. should I use a resistor so that there will be a drop across the resistor?

One of many solutions can be usage of LM317HV with maximum voltage up to 57V, or TL783 up to max 80V.

See example:

+5V from high voltages
**broken link removed**

Best regards,
Peter

Hi,

As Tpetar says you could use those very high voltage regulators, but I bet they will not be available where you are, they are not that common here.

You could make a transistor series pass regulator but thats a lot more complex.

A dropper resistor can really only be used if your load remains constant.

Is it just the backlight that you are trying to power by the battery or a full micro circuit whatever that is ? does it use relays or other higher current devices ?

You say there are 4 by 12v batteries in your invertor , surely you can connect another wire to the first or last battery in the chain so you can get a 12v output ?

Attachments

• 000093.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 120
I will give it a try and see if it will work. I have thought of it before.

I thank all of you for your advices and suggestions. I have tried it and it is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.