Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Needed: Doorbell Transformer Wiring Tripping GFCI Outlet

Sanahas

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to connect my doorbell transformer to the light fixture, but every time I connect the white and black wires to the fixture, it trips the GFCI outlet in the room. The doorbell wasn’t working originally, so I replaced some wires, the transformer, and the GFCI outlet. Now, the only issue is that it keeps tripping.

Interestingly, if I connect the transformer directly to the light and turn the light on, the doorbell works perfectly—but then I have to keep the light on for the doorbell to function. I’ve drawn a diagram of how all the wires are connected. If anyone can help me figure out what’s going wrong, I’d really appreciate it!

IMG_EB0E76130CF0-1.jpeg

First of all, I can’t make heads or tails out of your sketch. It tells me less than nothing.

Are you in the US? Japan? India? That’s kind of important. You say you connect it to “the fixture” and it doesn’t work, but then you connect it to the light and it works. what do you mean by “fixture” if it’s not the light fixture?

The doorbell wasn’t working, you changed a bunch of stuff, and it’s STILL not working. Maybe there’s some other problem you’ve missed.

I'm thinking the white (neutral) wire you are using,
is bonded to a ground and not an upstream neutral
feed (check the work-boxes for fatigued wires where
twist connections have been made?). Then you
would have longitudinal ground current all the way
back to the panel neutral-ground bonding busbars.

First of all, I can’t make heads or tails out of your sketch. It tells me less than nothing.
Are you in the US? Japan? India? That’s kind of important. You say you connect it to “the fixture” and it doesn’t work, but then you connect it to the light and it works. what do you mean by “fixture” if it’s not the light fixture?
The doorbell wasn’t working, you changed a bunch of stuff, and it’s STILL not working. Maybe there’s some other problem you’ve missed.
My apologies. Im in the US, VA. When I connect the transformer to the wires that control the light bulb and If the lights switch is on then the transformer gets power and the bell works. I want the bell to work regardless if the light is on or not. So If I connect it to the GFCI outlet wires that come into the fixture then it trips the GFCI outlet and the transformer wont get power. I attached some pictures here. Thank you.

Attachments

• tempImage3pfZZm.png
    tempImage3pfZZm.png
    13.2 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImagevTjQ1R.png
    tempImagevTjQ1R.png
    11 MB · Views: 8
  • tempImagegisHLz.png
    tempImagegisHLz.png
    11.3 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImageMLmWpi.png
    tempImageMLmWpi.png
    11.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7408 2.jpg
    IMG_7408 2.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 10
  • tempImageU6ejRG.png
    tempImageU6ejRG.png
    11.4 MB · Views: 10
I'm thinking the white (neutral) wire you are using,
is bonded to a ground and not an upstream neutral
feed (check the work-boxes for fatigued wires where
twist connections have been made?). Then you
would have longitudinal ground current all the way
back to the panel neutral-ground bonding busbars.
Thanks I'll try to understand this and try it.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back