Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me to select good counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

amila133

Member level 4
Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
My Purpose
I want to count no of rotations of a rotating disk in watt hour meter and store that value.I use IR TX/RX pair for this. Next once a day I want to feed that value into PIC.

Available counters
74HC4022,74HC4024,74HC590,74LS590

Pls tell me what are the most suitable counters for my purpose. If U know any other one pls suggest me.

Thank You

why dont you count the rotations in pic itself?

Because this is 24 hour running system. So there is a problem with lifetime of PIC. pls suggest me to good counter

Added after 2 hours 7 minutes:

How is the life time of PIC. if it running through 24 hours

amila133 said:
Because this is 24 hour running system. So there is a problem with lifetime of PIC. pls suggest me to good counter

How is the life time of PIC. if it running through 24 hours

Do you feel logic ic's have better life than pic?

Nandu

amila133

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Really I dont have much experience regarding these things. So I appreciate your suggetions.
Pls give your valuable ideas

Another thing in this project I want to use PIC for another purposes also. So breakdown of PIC cause to breakdown of whole system. so anyway For countong purpose I want to use seperate IC

Thanks

I feel there is no counter which can hold the count of rotations for a day. I had seen pic installed in air conditioners for temp. control and find working for years togather.

So start with pic
best of luck

Nandhu

amila133

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you for great assistance.
Then should I store counted value in EEPROM of the PIC. Can I trust about it.
Thanks

Microchips claims that its EEPROM memory can hold data for at least 40 years...

The EEPROM has a lifetime limitation in terms of number of read/writes. So maybe u can count the values in the file registers and transfer to EEPROM like once a day.

The counter idea doesn't look very good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.