Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help me making dc to dc converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

amrshata

Member level 1
Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I JUST WONDERING if any one could help me making dc to dc converter where the input is 48 volt and the outputs are 12 and 5 volts ( 50 ampere ) .

Dear amrshata
Hi
it is simple . you'll be able to do it , with a simple LM2576 and one optocoupler and one mosfet and some other things .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

LM2576 has maximum voltage of 40 volt :(

Well actually the LM2576HV has a 60V rating. But it's internal switch is rated at 3A, not 50A. What are the output currents?

Dear amrshata And steveelliott
Hi
As steveelliott said the HV series , can support your aim .
And about the current : as i told , you can use an opto coupler after your IC ( in series with a resistor ) .
Then you can switch a mosftet ( high power , such as IRFZ44N ( 45 A at least , 65 volts ) or another mosfets in parallel .
And then using a famous filter of buck regulator after that mosfet and then taking feed back . I did this way to achieve 100A simply and with good efficiency .
Good luck
Goldsmith

You can use a buck converter.

For this, you can use a dedicated controller for such a purpose or you can use a general-purpose PWM chip like UC3845.
If you use the second suggestion, you need to design a start-up section which can be a simple resistor. You can use the UC3845 to drive N-channel MOSFETs in high-side configuration. For this you will need high-side drivers such as IR2117. You would need an inductor and capacitor. Then, you'll need a feedback section to keep the output fixed.

If you use buck-converter, you would need 2 buck converters, one for 12V and one for 5V.

Another thing you can do is, use a transformer-isolated converter, so you can use one controller and a MOSFET stage driving a transformer with two output windings (and maybe an auxiliary for powering the controller or you can use the output 12V for powering the controller). A simple circuit would be an SG3525 driving 2 MOSFETs in push-pull configuration.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

thanks guys you were really helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.