Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hardest jobs in PCB Layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Newbie level 1
Hello,
What is the hardest types of PCB to lay out in the world of PCB design?
(not including microwave type circuits)

As far as I know, one of the hardest things to "program" the PCB Layout package to do is to handle multiple differential pair routes.
Is this true?
From a physics viewpoint, routing a differential pair obviously requires one to see that the 'go' and 'return' closely track each other, and thus minimise the current loop area which they enclose.

I can see that this would be "involved", and not practical with eg Eagle.

However, what is the Hardest type of PCB that requires one to have an in-depth knowledge of all the "labyrinth" of dialog boxes that are comprised inside complex pcb layout software packages?

LOL.
I think he has been traumatized by some CAD package in the past.

To answer your question SMPS's are the hardest thing to get right with PCB design. In my world getting out of bed and going to work is the hardest part of PCB design. The rest to me is fun, I treat it as a challenge and try and enjoy every layout however frustrating they may be.
Then there are the DDR interfaces...they are a challenge.
But the ultimate hardest job is getting placement right, cos if you don't the rest will be murder.

Finally the ultimate hardest job in PCB design is answering your questions:grin:

Reactions: treez and FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    T

I find actually navigating the labyrinth of features in the PCB Layout software packages the hardest thing.
(Unless its eagle because its so well supported)
After years of designing smps's, I can actually "see" the current waveform shapes in all the circuit tracks, and the node voltages (in my 'minds eye') and so I actually find smps layout easy.......since I enjoy it. However, I would admit that I am deep in concentration when i'm routing those switching power current loops of an smps. I think PCB layout of an smps is basically "Part" of the design of an smps....an smps design engineer should really lay out his/her own smps design.

And that's why we come back to making the "I.T." aspects of PCB layout packages simplified. -so that designers can navigate them and locate features they want without spending too much of their time....this is especially so since designers are often asked to work into many different pcb layout software packages.....and remembering where all the features are on all the different packages is a pain.

I have a set of common package footprints in Eagle....but its a pain that I cant transfer them to cadstar, altium, pads etc etc

I think his problem is learning to use a major CAD package. :-D

Reactions: treez

T

Treez,
I think that you are a real dummy, complaining lack of "xxx for dummies", and asking for the information to be chewed and swallowed, yours only do be a "digestion" phase :)
Every EDA package has it's quirks and it's learning curve.
In my former lives I've been using sMartWork (DOS), Tango (DOS), Protel (DOS & Win), OrCAD (DOS & Win)and in my present life I'm using Protel99SE. Only SCH and PCB part of the package. Tried some other packages, but, you know, life is too short to be able to flawlessly use any PCB package without spending a more or less substantial time to master specific tool.

Reactions: treez

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back