Half bridge power supply

gb_R

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to make a half bridge power supply . after a year of learning, now every thing looks perfect when i run it at 45V DC bench power supply but when i run it on mains (240AC) the low side IGBT get hotter then the high side one ( I don't have a temp meter at the moment but it looks x2 times hotter then high side one when i touch the heatsink ). I swap the IGBT and the other components low side to high side but the issue always stays on the low side. GDT voltage and signals are same on both side. only the difference is the low side IGBT to GDT tracks are about 3cm longer then the high side one. could that be the reason ? ( every thing looks perfect when i run it at 45V DC bench power supply, both IGBT equally warm ). Regards

Attachments

• cdbe5bc5-5660-495c-91da-7d55b8675e27 (1).jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 11

Hi,

A half bridge is made to run from DC ... I am not surprised that it does not work on AC.

GDT voltage and signals are same on both side.
I would be very suprised if this is true.

We don´t know what "perfect" means in your case.
We don´t have a schematic to check correctness.
We don´t have datasheets of the used parts.
We don´t have scope pictures to see signals and their timing.
We don´t even know what´s the power supply specification regarding output and input.
We even don´t know what the HIGH side and what the LOW side IGBT is on the given picture.
We don´t see the PCB layout ... like GND plane and low inductance wiring, current loops sizes and so on.

Without knowing anything about your power supply ... it´s impossible to help.

Klaus

For now i want to make sure, the IGBTs must be equally far from the GDT or that 3cm differences shouldn't make any problem unless otherwise ? here is the pcb layout. i will upload other information soon. Regards

Attachments

• pcb.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 11
  • GUID-8DE4FFA9-3080-4CCE-8016-439AD75CFF6B-low.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

hi,
you do half bridge but remember they go out of balance when done in
current mode.

This has been discussed many times on this forum before....try a google search of "edaboard easy peasy half bridge"
Easy Peasy has good info on this.

It always used to be said that a dc blocking cap was needed
when in voltage mode. Then the voltage build up on the blocker will oppose the
off balancing factor. But be sure your cap blocker is not too big. You need it
to show some voltage change during the cycle on time.
Anyway, current mode with slope compensation also can be workable with
half bridge.
Also, some people do extra circuits to detect the imbalance, and then reduce
one of the gate drives minutely, so as to even things back up again...but generally
, nobody bothers with that and just does a 2 tran forward instead.

Thank you very much. That is what i was thinking about. ill try putting some resistors on both dc blocking cap. i've seen that on some power supply. ill also try replacing another caps.

By the way, i'm doing CC CV for 72v 200a gel battery bank. i need around 200w constant. is two switch forward good enough for my project or better to go for full bridge? Regards