Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] GTKTERM on debian 12 does not display data

Status
Not open for further replies.

amorales

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using gtkterm 1.2.1 on Debian 12 to monitor serial data sent to another machine via serial port RS232. At first I was successful in transferring data from machine to machine, but after months of not using it I have not been able to do the transfer. Looking for what could be the problem I did the following simple test: transferring a file between the tty port and the ttyS0 port of the same machine, using gtkterm internally connected to the serial port ttyS0.The command was: cp asciifile /dev/ttyS0, where asciifile is an ascii file. Nothing is transmitted to the gtkterm display.The command to associate gtkterm with /dev/ttyS0 was gtkterm -p /dev /ttyS0. I assume that all the settings are automatically set with that command. The permissions for /dev/ttyS0 are correctly given.I believe this simple test shows that something essential is wrong and I would appreciate any suggestions that would allow me to find a solution to the problem.
A similar problem is reported in this forum:
gtkterm does not respond for serial connection
BrownBear1968Jan 13, 2020Jan 13, 2020Linux Software

Hi,

You only talk about ttyS0 (as far as I understand). So you either need an external feedback (Tx--> Rx) or you need two ports.
(I don´t understand what you mean with "connected internally")

The basic question is:
* is the file not SENT correctly
* or is it not RECEIVED correctly

On a real port you may use a scope to find out.
You also may use a second computer to find out.

Correct port setup is essential. Also the wiring (according the setup, like handshake signals).

Klaus

Hi,

You only talk about ttyS0 (as far as I understand). So you either need an external feedback (Tx--> Rx) or you need two ports.

The basic question is:

Correct port setup is essential. Also the wiring (according the setup, like handshake signals).

Klaus

Hi KlausST:
Hi,

The basic question is:

Klaus
You are correct in saying that I need two machines to pass digital information through the serial ports. That is exactly what I was doing successfully a few months ago.But now, with the same two machines I can no longer do it and I am looking for where the problem is.I made some progress since yesterday but I still have some problems.I will answer your first observation: (I don´t understand what you mean with "connected internally"). If on a single machine I give the command "gtkterm -p /dev/ttyS0", then I have the machine internally connected with gtkterm. For this reason if I give in the shell the command "cp asciifile /dev/ttyS0", I would expect the asciifile to appear in the gtkterm window. But this does not always happen. Incidentally, if I give the command "cp asciifile /dev/tty", the asciifile appears in the shell, but not always. This explains the expression "connected internally" since there are no external cables. My machine only has one RS232 port so I can't use a null cable.Now I'll explain the current situation with two machines. On machine 1 I give the command gtkterm -p "/dev/ttyS0" with the corresponding permissions. On machine 2 I give the command gtkterm -p "/dev/ttyUSB0" with the corresponding permissions. To connect machine 1 with machine 2, I used an RS232 to USB converter cable. Now the command "cp asciifile /dev/ttyS0" is executed correctly displaying "asciifile" in the gtkterm window of machine 2. Also, every character typed in one gtkterm window appears in the other. That is: everything is working correctly and I thank you for your answer that motivated me to find the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.