Not open for further replies.

khansaab21

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
GSM Query

Hi there. I want to use cell phone to transmit instructions. Instruction will be received at receiver where it would pass on the instructions to a microcontroller. And microcontroller will do whatever it is programed to do. I have quiet alot with microcontrollers, but I am relatively new to digital communication.

1. How could I transmit instructions from my cell phone
2. What will be the receiver. Does it have to be another cell phone or a customized receiver can made.
3. And finally how will the instructions be passed on to the controller.

Plz help as I have to submit my project proposal pretty soon.

Re: GSM Query

The simplest method to do what you want is to send an SMS message. You can send this using your cell phone. The receiving device could be either a cell phone, or a GSM radio module. This would be connected to your microcontroller through a serial port.

There are standard 'AT' commands for sending and receiving SMS messages. These are ASCII strings that are sent to the phone/module. For a basic introduction you can look on Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_command

GSM Query

Suppose if i am using another cell phone as the receiver, how could that be connected to the controller??

GSM Query

You need a call phone that has a serial interface

Thats not possible friend. I have to give such design proposal that ensures low cost, wide availability and robustness. Not many call phones have serial or usb interface. Those which have are relatively expensive and exceeds my project budget. Is there any other way possible??

GSM Query

Yes, get a GSM radio module. They all have a serial interface and support the standard 'AT' commands There are many that are readily available from several manufacturers such as: SIMCom, Telit, Motorola, Siemens. You can get these for less than $50US in single quantities.

khansaab21

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
GSM Query

You can use some phone which support AT commands. You can communicate using serial communication. But you should get the serial data cable.

you can use old NOKIA / Siemens Phones, they are cheap to get and support serial port also.

can be directly connected to microcontroller or via very simple interface.

br
hobbiest_2k3

Status
Not open for further replies.