Not open for further replies.

techie

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
GPRS to GPRS

I was just was wondering if it is possible to communicate between two GPRS phones without using a mobile phone service provider. I want to have a data-link in a remote area where there is no mobile phone service.

Re: GPRS to GPRS

Hi There,

You cannot communicate GPRS mobile to mobile. You would need a cell site. Why don't you look at 802.11 something like that. What sort of distance and data throughput do you require?

Cheers

The distance is a problem. It is about 1km but there is no clear line of sight. Otherwise 802.11 would have been great. The data rate is also not a problem. Only 2400bps.

Re: GPRS to GPRS

Why dont you use those cheaper radio TX/RX modules ???
If you go for UHF meidum power, you can get very nice distances!

asena 8)

There are also rural cellular implementations with one or few fixed base stantions . I do not know whether the datacom is allowed or not , but those have cellular network capability for small size dedicated networks
(from 5-10 up to thousasd subs ) . Mobile phone type is different from ussed in GSM .

Also my frend few years ago made experiments with 900 MHz PSTN phones - put directional antenna
on both sides and if I am not wrong it was possible to communicatie up to 1 km (no obstacles between peers).
O you have to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…