Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gm-C filter and nonlinearity

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenadinho

Junior Member level 2
Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
as far as I know gm-C filter is an open-loop filter configuration, i.e. no DC feedback. Does this means that linearity become a problem for large input signal? The gain and cutoff freq itself is related to the accuracy of the gm of OTA, how accurate can the gm be? Does the open loop DC voltage gain of OTA needs to be very large (i.e. > 60 dB) or as long as we are able to implement the required transconductance, any DC gain would do?
Another non-related question is, can we implement second order filter, by cascading two first order filter? What are the disadvantages and advantages as compared to other second order filter topology (Sallen-Key, etc)
Thx very much

wenadinho said:
Hi,
as far as I know gm-C filter is an open-loop filter configuration, i.e. no DC feedback. Does this means that linearity become a problem for large input signal? The gain and cutoff freq itself is related to the accuracy of the gm of OTA, how accurate can the gm be? Does the open loop DC voltage gain of OTA needs to be very large (i.e. > 60 dB) or as long as we are able to implement the required transconductance, any DC gain would do?
Another non-related question is, can we implement second order filter, by cascading two first order filter? What are the disadvantages and advantages as compared to other second order filter topology (Sallen-Key, etc)
Thx very much
Sure the linearity is a problem if a large input signal is used.
The DC gain of the gm cell will have a phase lead, and affect the Q of the filter.
Sure, You can implement the second order filter by cascading two first order filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back