Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

glucose monitor design using PIC16

Status
Not open for further replies.

vimalkhanna

Full Member level 6
Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can I get ideas for design of a compact simple blood glucose monitor which is portable and has 5% accuracy.

What do you already know about glucose monitoring? Do you want to measure glycated hemoglobin (hemoglobin A1c) or glucose per se? Do you plan on sampling the blood? Have you checked on the various devices that are already available?

John

All glocometer devices in the consumer area extract a blood sample from the persons vein.
The same is permitted to react /process on a test chemical paper which changes the optical sensitivity .
This reaction is time based and precipitation goes asymptotically .
Since the process is very rough /human errors are abundant ,results are varying .
I was planning for a noninvasive glucometer for measurement of haemoglobin A1C .

We probably disagree on the accuracy of methods used for home blood glucose measurements. The studies I have seen show it to be quite accurate over the range of values needed for management of diabetes. The biggest variable is probably the patient's psychology. There are some very interesting studies on compliance that show patients with diabetes, particularly those with Type I, play games with the glucose results and their insulin doses.

Measurement of HbA1c and its use in management of patients with diabetes is quite distinct from glucose monitoring for daily treatment with insulin. This link has some useful information on HbA1C and how to do it non-invasively: Personalized Medicine for Diabetes: Noninvasive Optical Screening for Diabetes

John

there are many glucose meters today and accuracy varies my wife is a diabetic for 35 years and she has had them all. Today she uses the medtronic pump and the dexcom continuous glucose meter and a accu check meter they never have the same reading.this is a problem.But this leads me to my Idea i have been working on.I would like to have a device the reads the signal from the dexcom transmitter and sends it to a smart phone and the smart phone desyphers the glucose reading .Then if it is low the smart phone sends a text or email or calls someone to let them know that persons sugar is low .This will prevent finding the diabetic on the floor after they go low

Perhaps your suggestion should have its own thread? Are you sure that function is not already available?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.