Status
Not open for further replies.

iVenky

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If you see the vertical view of the MOS device you can see that the gate polysilicon is extended beyond the channel area by some amount. and contact windows are in this place unlike sources and drain. Do you know the reason behind this?

Thanks in advance.

... contact windows are in this place unlike sources and drain.

Sorry, I can't understand your statement (or question?). Could you clarify, possibly?

The region where the channel is located is the most sensitive area of the FET.
We really do not want any poly contacts in that area.
Better still, we do not want any metal/vias on top of it either.

Reactions: iVenky

iVenky

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
... the gate extends beyond the channel region. I need the reason behind this.

Agree with checkmate. The reason for the poly extension is to provide a margin for misalignment, s. here:

Agree with checkmate. The reason for the poly extension is to provide a margin for misalignment, s. here:
I just couldn't understand these terms -
poly overhang, poly extenstion, diffusion mask, poly mask

What do you mean by that highlighted sentence?

Seems to be too much jargons for me.

Thanks in advance.

I just couldn't understand these terms -
poly overhang, poly extenstion, diffusion mask, poly mask

What do you mean by that highlighted sentence?

Seems to be too much jargons for me.

Suggest that you should read some books about layout, lithography and IC technology, e.g. -- the above picture is from this book, and the highlighted sentence exactly means what it says -- you'll understand it when you study the book.

Suggest that you should read some books about layout, lithography and IC technology, e.g. -- the above picture is from this book, and the highlighted sentence exactly means what it says -- you'll understand it when you study the book.

I understood what Checkmate was saying. Are they similar?

I understood what Checkmate was saying. Are they similar?
Not quite. Checkmate explained why (usually) no contacts over gate are allowed, whereas I tried to explain why the poly must extend over the gate, and both explanations together should explain why the gate contact should be outside of the real gate over a gate poly extension.
HTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…