Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gate drive IC needs protection schottky diodes?

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Just bringing up a 24VIN, 24VOUT, 48Wout, 60kHz flyback.
Controller has only 5V gate drive, and weak, so used a UCC27517 gate drive IC from this
PWM controller to the NFET.

The UCC27517 gate drive IC was, I believe, ESD killed. I replaced it and now the flyback works, but the controller's
current sense pin is blown...(no doubt from the high current from when the FET was held perma-ON putting a too-high voltage across the source
sense resistors.)

Anyway, we have now got a Schottky connected from UCC27517 output to rail, and also another Schottky connected from UCC27517
output to ground (anode to ground, cathode to rail)

Do you believe this is a necessary precaution for this sensitive gate drive chip?

Gate drive ICs, often seem to get blown or ESD damaged, sensitive things they seem to be.

UCC27517
UCC27517

If the failure mode is powered latchup then clamping the output against hard below-ground undershoots could be a patch. But seems you have not pinned the tail on the responsible donkey yet.

But seems you are putting Band-Aids on things based on guesswork. Some test-to-fail applying likely faults to a collection of socketed driver & controller parts until you can provoke the failure signature at will, to know why / what and then the fix.

Thanks, this UCC27517 was soldered on the PCB alone...then that PCB was left on the side for 3 months, and regularly handled by people, then eventually the whole board was built up...and i think the UCC27517 had gotten some ESD damage....the UCC27517 driving the two transistor forward fets (one via GDT) is fine, and that had the double schottky protection.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: