full-bridge transformer-isolated boost converter

Dingyuan

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, I’m struggling with understanding a full-bridge transformer-isolated boost converter. The author mentions that during the first subinterval, Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4 are all on at the same time, leading to transformer saturation. However, I don’t understand why the transformer would saturate if no current is flowing through it.

Please help me. Thank you all in advance and have a nice Sunday

Agreed, if it's supposed to act like a boost converter, then we'd expect Amperes to ramp up in inductor L while Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 turn on.

I see no benefit to letting either inductive element saturate. In fact the graph labeled 'I' looks like a triangle wave which should be an Ampere waveform and it's not saturated.

The transformer cannot saturate if it is shorted by a pair of mosfets, check your reading of the article.

If you do a simulation - you will see that for slightly asymmetric gate drive - you can get flux walking and saturation in the Tx

this is normally easily avoided by pk current mode control - sensed by a suitable CT in series with the Tx

The author's comment might be due to a wrongly interpreted observation. If saturation occurs, it starts at end of +/- vT phase, extending into vT = 0 phase. Apart from avoiding asymmetrical drive, special measures may be necessary to prevent from saturation during startup. Suggested peak current control is the best way to catch it all.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…