Status
Not open for further replies.

nayanachaudhari

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
im designing microwave coupled line bandpass filter in ie3d/mgrid software......
can any1 plz help me what height of fr4 should i take while designing filter??
i have taken εr=4.4, thickness= 1.5mm at frequency 5GHZ....

but im not getting how to find height of fr4 n which is commercially available in market?????
each rpy wil b appreciated......plz do rpy asap.......
thank u.......

Do you have to use FR4? It is a bad material for making filters at 5 GHz. You may consider use Rogers 4003 or other PCB material for your application.

FR4 is lossy material. If u insist in using it, for thickness you can login to the website and check the thickness of the substrate material from the datasheets, You can contact the vendor for height details, They would be happy to help you out for manufacturing standards.

@Phytech:
BUT FR4 IS EASILY AVAILABLE IN MARKET N IT IS NOT DAT MUCH COSTLY LIKE OTHER SUBSTRATES.....
i have attached one document file here.... plz go through it and help me in designing micro strip coupled line bandpass filter.

Attachments

• EXAMPLE.doc
    32 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

@Phytech:
BUT FR4 IS EASILY AVAILABLE IN MARKET N IT IS NOT DAT MUCH COSTLY LIKE OTHER SUBSTRATES.....
i have attached one document file here.... plz go through it and help me in designing micro strip coupled line bandpass filter.
THNX ALOT........ I HAVE USED HEIGHT AS 0.159mm AND THICKNESS AS 1.5mm

FR4 may be common in the marketplace but as others have said - it is NOT suitable for what you are designing.

Other materials may have a higher price but the cost is lower.

y that I mean that the price of the PCB may be higher, but the cost of buying a PCB that does not work correctly is not worth the lower price.

Agree with Mattylad. If I were you I would definitely avoid to use FR4 for the filter you described. For prototype, you may ask free sample board from Rogers. For production, you can price in your product cost and charge your customer accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.