Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Formating Data for a POS Printer from a PIC18

Status
Not open for further replies.

UroBoros

Advanced Member level 2
Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
need to use **broken link removed** with a PIC 18 Series controller. 18F452 or 18F4550. The printer (Chinese) data/Command set says it is EPSON POS. Here is the datasheet. I can understand the connections for the serial port to be connected to the printer also . But Apart from TX, RX and GND, I would like to know which other lines in the DB9 connector of the printer should be controlled from PIC to execute all printer commands.
Also I am new to printing. I will be having a log of data in my Controller Board. (It is in a EEPROM Which I can load into MCU RAM). But How to create this format and all for printing, I have no idea. Can I get some examples to start from? Basically I need to Print some data in a table form. Columns and raw lines are not needed.
Thanks

Attachments

• Programmer Manual.pdf
    480.7 KB · Views: 182

Hi,

Cannot see anything showing the serial connections from those links, what other lines does it say it uses ?
Even if it has extra control lines they can often be bypassed.

Is a long time since I helped do a thermal printer to a mico, it quiet a time consuming project to fully understand all its control methods.
I expect these days they all use a common method, so perhaps if you search the web some more you will find some ready made routines.

Your data is converted from hex to ASCII format, there are plenty ready made routines to do that, though you will have to become familiar with the Full Ascii control set.

A quick search found this well documented printer from Sparkfun so expect there are some programming examples around from their users.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10438

Thanks. I am trying to get it print on my command from a PC using a serial port terminal. I got it print from their software -so it is working at least. I am figuring out how these ESC codes to be send and print a line of text using my RS232- terminal.
Thanks

I have manged to get my string printed from terminal now. Printing line by line seems easy, But I think something like a page print exists where we can load the page into print buffer and say "Go". Have to look into that.
Thanks

Roy Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.