Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] FFT twiddle factor indexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

frznchckn

Member level 1
Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm building an n-point (power of 2) radix-2 FFT where all data samples will pass through the radix-2 butterfly log2(n) times.

I thought I understood this algorithm, but I'm having doubts as I am having a lot of trouble modeling the dataflow in MATLAB to create a bit-equivalent model. My FFT output doesn't match the MATLAB built-in (fftw) at all. To experiment, I modeled an 8 point radix-2 FFT in Excel. I can't match Excel's FFT either.

Does anyone have any ideas? I thought maybe I was not indexing my twiddle factors properly. For an 8 point FFT with no ROM compression, I'll have 8 twiddle factors for real and imaginary respectively. For the first pass, I index as follows:

For the second pass

and for the third pass

My Excel model is attached as well. Would someone point out my mistake in the algorithm or what concept I'm missing here? Thanks.

Attachments

• fft_question.zip
    8.3 KB · Views: 77

Status
Not open for further replies.