Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fan speed controlling

Hayee

Member level 3
Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everyone,
I am using FAN with microcontroller and it is working fine. microcontroller just Turn ON and OFF the FAN at particular conditions. Following is the FAN model and circuit diagram.
1729156729772.png
1729156768479.png

In the circuit there is a signal coming from FAN which will be go into the circuit and the output of it goes to microcontroller. This signal tell weather the FAN is ON or OFF. basically this signal is used to check if the FAN is in working condition or not.

I am just wondering can I give the PWM signal to the FAN to vary the speed of FAN. Uptill now FAN is running on its MAX speed. By giving the PWM I can change the speed of the FAN according to the certain conditions.

Thanks

Hi,

I am just wondering can I give the PWM signal to the FAN to vary the speed of FAN.
I don´t know either. But if I wanted to know .. I´d read the datasheet. The most reliable source of such information.

To the circuit:
* some part values look odd. But in detail it depends on the operation conditions. (we don´t know)
* usually FAN_SIG gives a pulse signal, where the pulse frequency tells about the RPM. If you use the circuit above .. you lose the RPM information, you just get an ON/OFF information. I don´t see a benefit in using this additional circuit. Any microcontroller should be happy to get the raw signal. The circuit just increases effort, cost and limits the use of the signal.

Klaus

@KlausST
No datasheet is available for this FAN. I tried to search the internet but I didn't found. Can you help me out to get the datasheet of it.
The reason for using this circuit is that I only need a logic level to check if FAN is running or not. I don't want to measure the RPM of the FAN.

@D.A.(Tony)Stewart can you share the link of that post?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: