Not open for further replies.

lucky8

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to ask, what are the things that i need to consider for simple current mirror.
I know that the output current of the current mirror is linked to the emitter area of the transitors and the avalanche voltage, VA.
What other factors that i need to look upon for this current mirror?

base current, and mismatch, output resistor, perimeter

lucky8

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You might find some info you need in an old article I wrote.
**broken link removed**
it is not exactely the same, but closely related.

lucky8

the main factors sre

matching

output volatge

voltege swings

the impedane at the inputs of the transistor may cause errors.

lucky8

output voltage?
do u mean the VCE?

I've read that the output impedance is the measure of the current mirror quality, and how is that?

lucky8 said:
output voltage?
do u mean the VCE?

I've read that the output impedance is the measure of the current mirror quality, and how is that?

An ideal current source is simplay a current source with an infinite shunt resistor.

So, the higher the output impedance of you mirror the less it will be susceptible to load variations. Generally, a current mirror can drive a low impedance node with no problems. Having a high output resistance means you can drive higher impedance nodes with the current source or, alternatively, you have a high quality current source

lucky8

You can try for a better performance using cascoded transistors. It will give you a better matching between the 2 currents (you have a much higher output resistance)

lucky8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…